Sunday

Plein Air Rockies 2011 -Day #5 Recap

"Big Thompson River", 11 x 14", plein air oil

 I fell in love with the light in this scene and the 'S' in the river so decided to give it a go. There used to be a fly fisherman in it, but I took him out as I thought it needlessly complicated things. I think this was my favorite painting of the trip, and I entered it in the competition.

"Prickly Poppies", 4 x 6", plein air oil, SOLD

We were given a very tiny panel to paint to enter into the miniature competition. I found these wonderful poppies, that had the stems and leaves of our native thistle. I had never seen them before, so of course I had to paint them. Unfortunately it was quite windy this day, and it was a real challenge to capture the tissue thin petals as they cavorted around in the breezes.

"Still Standing", 9 x 12", plein air oil

I first saw these wonderfully gnarled trees near the very top of the pass on our first day in RMNP, and finally got a sunny day that wasn't too windy to paint them. You can tell that they had been scoured by the wind for many years, bleaching their trunks to white.

 You will have to wait for the rest of the recap (only 2 more painting days to go) and the finale, as I am off to paint at my most favorite place in the whole world I think, stunning Lake O'Hara , for the next four days. I know, lucky me! You can see the results of 2 other previous trips here, here, here and Sept to Oct 2008 blog posts. I will post the results of this trip after I finish with the competition report.

Enjoy!

To purchase this painting, or commission your own painting, please email me.
Share |

1 comment: