Monday

New Studio Oil Painting

I know I have been a bad blogger as I haven't posted in a whole week or more -but life has been wonderfully busy. I haven't been painting much lately, and that has been in acrylics. However, I thought I would post an oil that I started this weekend. It is a 18x24" canvas done from my plein air painting "Summit Lake", painted this year at Waterton Provincial Park. When I do oils in my studio, which is not often, I love to work from a plein air study in conjunction with photos to make the larger work. Trying to keep the looseness and spontaneity is the hard part here. As you can see I am working on a red-orange toned board, the same colour as most of my plein air work is done on. This is pretty much just past the block-in stage. I am leaving the water and reflections for now as they have to be done wet-on-wet in one go. That is where the painting will either make it or fail -so I am a little anxious about it :)

Enjoy!

To purchase this, or commission your own painting, please email me.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the bright orange of the water and then read that it was an under painting! I thought at first it was a field bright in early evening sunlight.
    The painting is looking very nice and I look forward to seeing the finished work.

    ReplyDelete