Wednesday

Plein Air Rockies 2011 -Day #4 Recap

 "Lumpies Gossips", 12 x 9", plein air oil

On day 4 I began by painting in a very different geological part of the park. Here the rocks look like they were deposited like wet lumps of mud, one slouching into the next. I am sure there is a proper name and description of this phenomena, but it escapes me :) The ridge is appropriately called Lumpy Ridge. I found this grouping right beside the parking lot for the 'Lumpy Hike' (which Dave took while I was painting), and decided that the three looked like figures, two in conversation while the one on the right turns her back dejectedly, unwanted in this gossip session. Come on, I know you have all been there!!

Here I am hard at work/play with my palette knife again. This waterfall is called Alluvial Fan, and it was caused by a breach in the dam at a lake above. The resulting flood actually resulted in many deaths as the water swept through the nearby campsite and through the town. 
 
"Memorial", 14 x 11", plein air oil
I thought that this was a suitable title for the falls. It is interesting how the cause of such devastation can result in such a beautiful waterfall for all to enjoy. The title is how I felt about it. It was the second painting that I entered to be judged in the competition. I felt the knife work combined with the brushwork, the transparent versus the opaque, thick versus thin, made for an interesting painting on many levels.

Enjoy!

To purchase this painting, or commission your own painting, please email me.
Share |

1 comment: