Saturday

Plein Air Rockies 2011 Recap -Day #1

 "Breaking Weather", 11 x 14", plein air oil

This is my first painting of the Plein Air Rockies 2011 competition held at Estes Park, Colorado. We were lucky enough to get my boards all stamped on Thursday night, which meant a full week of painting lay ahead. The weather was very overcast that first day, and I was thanking God that I had decided to arrive a day early, just in case the bad weather held out all week. The sun was trying to stream out between the clouds, which left a wonderful pattern that I tried to capture in this painting. The landscape is full of beautiful Ponderosa Pines, which I just love, but don't grow around Calgary and Banff.

"Colorado Headwaters", 9 x 12", plein air oil on board
SOLD

 We drove this amazing road which takes you all the way up to the top of the mountain range to tundra, a climb of over 5,000 feet. On the way down the other side this scene caught my eye -the variety of greens were amazing against the maroon mountainsides. Hard to believe that this is the beginning of the mighty Colorado River. Just got this one finished when the heavens opened up and the rain began to fall...

Stay tuned for day #2 tomorrow!
Share |

2 comments:

  1. Re: "Breaking Weather" -- Sharon this is a really energetic painting! I always love the colour in your work but this one is special -- a real sense of being in that environment with the wind and light and rain. Exceptional!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words Holly. You always manage to lift my spirits!

    ReplyDelete