Friday

A Few More From Colorado -plein air paintings by Sharon Lynn Williams



"Caught In The Act", 8x10" plein air oil on board
on auction at DPW, beginning at $80. click here to bid

It was late in the afternoon the day after the competition paintings were handed in, so I went out with new friend Anne Rogers to see what I could do with the pressure off. I was set up to paint this lovely stream when low and behold, a fly fisherman stepped into the scene. Now if you have ever tried to paint a fly fisherman plein air, then you know they don't stay still and they don't stay in one place more that 10 minutes! I decided to give him a whirl and quickly go in his gesture -one try, that's it. After I was reasonably satisfied with him, I painted in the rest of the scene loosely, so as not to upstage him.

"Morraine Valley", 9x12" plein air oil on board
SOLD

It was fun to try to capture the atmosphere between the lovely ponderosa pine and the mountain valley behind it. Amazingly enough, it took me way longer to paint the mountain than the tree, even though the tree looks like it would take longer. It is difficult to paint something with close values and colours and still have it read as a 3D object.


"View From Fern Tree Cottage", 9x12" plein air oil on board

This was a quick sketch of the view outside our lovely little cottage nestled along the Big Thompson River. Ken and June were our hosts at Bradshaw Cottages, just a hop, skip and a jump from downtown Estes Park. If you are ever in the area looking for a quiet retreat in a beautiful setting, check them out!

That's it for the Colorado paintings! It was a real blast -thanks for tagging along with me.By the way, photographer par excellence, Jim Rogers, photographed all of the painters at the event, made a movie of it and posted it on YouTube here -if you want to take a look see who my competition was!

Enjoy!

To purchase this painting, or commission your own painting, please email me at williamsdotsharonatshawdotca (insert characters for the dot and at!)

Share |

1 comment:

  1. Lovely job on "Morraine Valley". I love all the grays in the mountains. Lovely atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete