Thursday

Plein Air Rockies 2012 -final day and Quick Draw



"River Light", 12 x 9" plein air oil on board
SOLD
The finale of the painting part of the competition is the Quick Draw, in which the artists have 90 minutes to paint and frame a painting, and then the paintings are auctioned off in a live auction which follows immediately. It is a hectic time and very stressful for the artists! I chose to do the river which was just catching the morning light, casting it in a glowing golden light. I liked the idea of the coolness of the trees and rocks in the shadows contrasting with the sunbathed creek.


Here I am posing with the painting for the new owner. Hopefully she was able to get it back to her home without smearing the wet paint!! (please excuse the 'hat hair"!)

Later that evening the awards were announced and $12,000 in prizes given out. None to me, but I was just happy to have been invited to participate. The caliber of artists present was incredible, including many famous American artists (Jeff Legg , David Harms, Scott Freeman and Doug Braithwaite to name a few). It was truly humbling to be in such company, and they were all super nice people. I was fortunate to be able to snag a wonderful painting by watercolourist Gene Youngman, and I found out later that it was in the running for Best of Show. Lucky me : )

I was interviewed for the local newspaper and got a 2 page spread, which you can read here if you like. So ends another wonderful painting trip into the Rocky Mountain National Park. I wonder if I will be invited back again next year???

Enjoy!

To purchase this painting, or commission your own painting, please email me at williamsdotsharonatshawdotca (insert characters for the dot and at!)

Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment