Tuesday

"Bird's Nest", oil painting by Sharon Lynn Williams


"Bird's Nest", 8 x 8" oil painting on canvas
SOLD

I did a painting from life of a bird's nest at the beginning of the year, and it was really nice to revisit the theme at the end of the year -maybe that should become a ritual? It seems like lots of people connect with the imagery -maybe it is just the time of year when we take on our nesting mindset with the advent of winter; maybe there is more to it than that. Whatever it is, it seems like a great subject for further investigation.

I recently read a great post on the Oil Painters of America Blog written by Jane Barton that is really touching home for me these days!!  She was thinking how the 5 stages of grief apply to the work of an artist. She restated them as follows:
Denial: This is not bad…not the painting I had in my head when I started…but maybe this will work…
Anger: Why isn’t this working? Why can’t I find that color? Why can’t I draw a horse?
Bargaining: OK, if you (the Art God?) just let me get this one painting done in time for the show, I promise I’ll clean up my studio and give up popcorn…and maybe ice cream.
Depression: This is never going to work. What made me think I could paint?
Acceptance: Well, this is not bad. This is going to work for now and the next one will be even better. I hope. I just have to keep working at it and I will get as close as I can before I die.
Repeat 5 stages of Painting. Order may be shuffled as needed.
Good Luck! And don’t give up!

I give that a big AMEN.

Enjoy!

To purchase this painting, commission your own painting or contact me to do a workshop in your area, please email me at williamsdotsharonatshawdotca (insert characters for the dot and at!)


Share |

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so true. Your right too, it can be in any order. However there is one that is missing, Joy. Every once in awhile you are working away and suddenly the painting comes to life and you know it is different. It is the one!! Unfortunately that does not happen with every picture but when it does, it feels great.

    ReplyDelete