Friday

"Opabin Waterfall", encaustic painting by Sharon Lynn Williams

"Opabin Waterfall", 8 x 10"encaustic painting on board
available on auction at DPW beginning at $75, click here to bid

This time I was trying to see how close to my normal oil painting technique I could get using only encaustic paint. It is possible, but it felt like trying to force a wild medium to be something it was not meant to be. I would put on a colour and then just hope that it wouldn't melt away when it was fused. There are about 15 layers of paint in this painting, and I did find many very cool effects. I think that for me, I will continue to explore the more abstract ways of using the medium, allowing it to have its way sometimes; to engage in the beautiful dance of creativity.

Enjoy!

To purchase this painting, commission your own painting or contact me to do a workshop in your area, please email me at williamsdotsharonatshawdotca (insert characters for the dot and at!)

Share |

2 comments:

  1. I've signed up to take an encaustic-with-fabric class at the Olds Fibre Potpourri at the end of May...Will have to see how my experience with it on fabric compares to yours with it and paint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful painting, I love it

    ReplyDelete