Tuesday

New Acrylic Explorations by Sharon Lynn Williams



"Nest", 8x10" acrylic on clayboard
SOLD

In April I was thrilled to study with Linda Kemp, a wonderful artist from Ontario. She is a very accomplished artist who's primary medium is watercolour (she's the master of negative painting!) and now is working in acrylic in a similar way, but with the addition on opaque paint. I have never used Ampersand's clayboard before and found it an interesting but expensive surface.

"Koi Pond", 15 x 15" acrylic on canvas mounted on 16x16" gallery wrap canvas
$625
Please click here to purchase

This one is built out of many, many layers of opaque and transparent paint. I like the movement in it as well as the irridescent glaze on the underwater fish.

"Leaf Patterns", 14 x 14" acrylic on gallery wrap canvas
SOLD

Another one with multiple layers and glazing, this time on a canvas that I had textured with varying thickness and splatters of gesso, in order to add some surface interest to the painting. I really enjoyed the play of transparent with the opaque areas and the depth that this technique brings.

"Summer Evening", 14 x 14" acrylic on gallery wrap canvas
$595, painted around edges so no frame required
Please click here to purchase

This is the last painting of this series. After making a very involved and visually textured surface, I began to see some tree shapes in the washes. I went with that idea and painted the sky and water, leaving the trees. Got to love negative painting, especially when it turns out so positively great!!

Enjoy!
Share |

3 comments:

  1. Linda Kemp is one of my favourite artists - discovering her work was the impetus for a lot of growth in my watercolour painting - I'm jealous you got to take a course with her!
    I love the last two paintings you posted - the yellow in the sky of your tree scene makes the whole thing pop!

    ReplyDelete