Thursday

Painting Mileage!

"Opabin's Glory", 8x10", plein air oil painting
SOLD

I did this plein air painting at Lake O'Hara 3 years ago, and just love it, so I have kept it in my collection. It has become the source material for several other paintings...

I was commissioned to do a large painting from the initial plein air one, so here is "Opabin's Glory" in a 20 x 24 studio oil on canvas. SOLD

"Opabin Imaginings", 12 x 16", acrylic on watercolour paper
SOLD 

The oil study has also provided fodder for some acrylic and watercolour paintings -heck if you have good shapes, you have a good painting! For variety, I did this one in fluid acrylics, using a limited palette of orange, yellow-green and violet, with a warm temperature dominance. I began in a watercolour fashion, and then added translucent and opaque accents.

"Opabin Imaginings ii", 12 x 16", acrylic on watercolour paper

I tried it again for a demo I did at a local art club. This time I changed the colour scheme to blue-green, orange, yellow-green & red-violet, keeping the temperature dominance to the cool side. I love using my own paintings to make new paintings from. While I cannot seem to play with colour to this extent outside, I sure have fun changing things up in the studio.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment